Thank you for purchasing our timber products and we hope you enjoy your piece of fine furniture for years to come. To ensure your pieces always look their best we’ve summarised the benefits and care information for our new favourite furniture oil, Oil Plus 2C by Rubio Monocoat (RMC).
Laurent is loving RMC as it is:
- Easy to apply with just one coat;
- Technology-rich and eco-friendly;
- Water-resistant – ideal for kitchens and bathrooms;
- Hard-wearing – you can use it on floor boards;
- Gives brilliant results; and
- Suitable for most of our solid wood, veneer and MDF products. Has a choice of 40 colours, 14 pre-colours which can be layered up, plus they have annual releases of trending colour palettes
It is a two-part product which combines a linseed-based oil and accelerator together at time of application for quick fast-curing results. Previously we used a varnish that would have to dry in two layers overnight with a light sanding in between. RMC, of course, is a much faster option to get your project completed.
Oil Plus 2C by Rubio Monocoat "Pure" applied to Oak Timber
We have most likely used the colour “Pure” which is un-tinted to allow the natural colours of your furniture to speak for itself.
Please take the time to read our maintenance tips below
Upon arrival or installation, please check with Laurent when the Rubio Monocoat was applied. You will need to adhere to the following times which come into effect from the time RMC is applied in our workshop:
- The curing (drying/hardening) process is 80% dry in two days.
- You will be safe to start leaving items on your furniture and benchtops safely on the third day.
- Days 1-5 do not get wet. Pat dry any wet spots immediately.
- After five days, the surface can be cleaned with water and RMC Soap.
Ongoing maintenance of Rubio Monocoat
It is recommend that RMC is maintained with their own cleaning products. A worthy recommendation because they:
- Are developed to work with their own products;
- Are pH neutral – remember this is an oil-based product so can’t use heavy cleaning products that strip out the oils;
- Are concentrated so you’ll get a lot of doses out of them;
- Continue to be an eco-friendly product; and
- May avoid any warranty issues down the line.
Cleaning and maintenance products
- Soap — concentrate to dilute in a bucket of water, ideal for floors
- Surface Care — convenient spray bottle, ideal for smaller surfaces
- Stain Removers
- Limespot — lime stains and other alkaline stains, e.g. urine, fertilisers, rust, radiator water, etc. Also: white rings
- Grease — olive oil, frying oil, crisps, oil, etc. Also: heel marks and floor polish on floors
- Tannin — black/tannin stains e.g. rings/stains from cans, flower pots, tea/coffee, etc.
- Refresh Eco — restores services
- Universal Maintenance Oil — a neutral-coloured oil ideal for top ups
More can be read about these products here.
- Clean maximum once a week with RMC Soap or RMC Surface Care. Cleaning too often or with too
much RMC Soap or RMC Surface Care may leave a thin layer on the surface, which dirt and dust may
- Do not leave any water on the surface, a damp-clean is sufficient. Do not leave things on counter until it is completely dry.
- The best working method is with two buckets: one with the soap mixture and one with clean water to
rinse the dirt out of the mop or sponge — “wax on, wax off” said Mr Miyagi to Daniel-san.
- If stains have penetrated wood too deeply, the spot can be cleaned, sanded, vacuumed, then re-oiled with Oil Plus in your original matching colour (without the hardener part)
- After a treatment with RMC Stain Removers, you may need to apply some oil in the original colour on the spot.
For your convenience, please download a copy of Rubio Monocoat’s Interior Maintenance Guide
Additional product information
We discovered Rubio Monocoat through recommendation with Deb at Painted Earth, Byron Bay. If you would like to pick up your own products, please drop by the shop or call on +612 6685 7522.